Generally, there are five situations in which this error message comes up:
1. You have a damaged PDF file. If that is the case, you can try to digitally reprint the file so as to "fix" it. To reprint, you'll need to open the original PDF file in Adobe Reader, or a similar program that can print to PDF.
- Then go to File --> Print.
- In the Print dialog that will appear, select Able2Extract Printer and click on the Print button. (If you have version 8.0 of Able2Extract or older, please note that these versions do not have embedded PDF creation option, so in that case just use a printer that has PDF in its title.)
- Now the Print Dispatcher dialog will appear, so here you will be able to give the reprinted file a name and select a location. Then click on OK button.
After regenerating the PDF file, you can open the reprinted version of the file in Able2Extract application and try the conversion again. In most cases, regenerating the PDF can fix damaged or lost information in the PDF file.
2. The PDF file you are converting to Excel is too large. This error can happen with very large Excel files, since in that case, Excel runs out of virtual memory. Namely, prior to Excel 2007, Excel spreadsheets could contain only 65,000 rows. In cases of very large PDF documents that require conversion from PDF to Excel, it is possible that the number of rows in Excel could be exceeded. If the PDF you are converting exceeds these limitations, Excel will run out of virtual memory and crash, resulting in this Fatal Error #24 message.
To solve the issue, please try one of the following suggestions:
- Convert smaller selections of your PDF file at a time, by using the "Select Page Range" option from the Edit menu.
- Break the document up into smaller parts prior to importing it into Able2Extract, by doing a digital re-print (as outlined above) and selecting your page range.
Also, upgrading your Able2Extract software to our current version will resolve the issue, as the current version is built on the parameters of MS Office 2007, which does not have the above limitation. To upgrade, please follow the link given below:
3. If you cannot convert any PDF file to Excel, then MS Excel may not be properly installed, or the installation settings where ruined post-installation. In this case, the easiest solution is to re-install MS Office, or try the following:
- Press the Start button (in the bottom left corner) and select the Run command from the Menu.
- Once the Run dialog box opens, type excel /regserver in the Open field of the dialog and press OK (there should be a space between excel and /regserver). After that, try the conversion again.
4. The PDF file you are converting to Word has page dimensions that exceed 20"x20". If this is the case, please reprint your PDF file so as to resize it. Alternatively, if you have Able2Extract 9.0 or later, you can scale the PDF pages within Able2Extract and then convert such scaled PDF.
5. The error is a result of the delivery package (i.e. Citrix) used to deliver the application to the desktop; a local manual install will allow conversions to work.
This article refers to Able2Extract and Able2Extract Professional.